Tuesday, April 11, 2006

ITS NOT PASTA, BUT MAN IS IT GOOD!

I love pasta. That could be the end of this article because that's how much I love pasta.

Pasta is one of those foods that is laden with calories and is very filling, so I've decided to cut back on eating it. I know, I can't believe it either. (pout) Now what do I do when I'm craving Italian Pasta but don't I want all the calories?

If youre like me, you'll absolutely love this pasta alternative that my mother prepared for me. I can't live without it! She found it on the website for Mann Packing, one of Salinas Valleys premiere growers.

Cut broccoli stalks into 4 cups of Julienne strips or approximately one bag of Broccoli ColeSlaw found in the bagged salad section of your local grocery store.

Add two tablespoons of olive oil (or cooking spray) to a large sauté pan.

Add broccoli to the sauté pan and saute' over medium heat.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt, two chopped garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning (such as Oregano), 1/4 teaspoon of Allspice to the broccoli.

Sauté broccoli until tender about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.

Plate sautéed broccoli on serving platter and top with your favorite Italian sauce (if you like meat sauce try it with lean ground turkey).

Top with cheese (or NOT if you're Vegan)!

Julienne Broccoli resembles spinach pasta with a big difference in calories. Six ounces of cooked pasta has about 630 calories where six ounces of cooked Broccoli has only 50 calories! And though it is so good you won't have any left over, the saute'ed broccoli is exceptional in omelets.

Copyright © 2006 The Gothic Gourmet