Friday, January 05, 2007

GOTHIC GOURMET UPDATE-01/05/2007

On August 8, 2006, The Gothic Gourmet was enjoying an evening out on the ice at the Logitech Ice Arena in San Jose, California. Goths on Ice - heh, sounds like a poor title for a Broadway Musical. Anyhow, I was out there throwing stones, sweeping, and more sweeping. My team was down one person and it was a nice change of pace to throw extra stones. In the last end, while sweeping a stone at the far left quadrant outside of the house, I hit a slick spot in the drop-off. There's no telling now how far I slid but it was far enough and long enough for me to through up my left arm to protect my head.

The impact was instant and the pain intense. My arm was stuck in its position next to my head so I grabbed it with my right hand and gave a yank! I stood to my feet, then sat back down on the ice as I realized there was not a little pain but an explosion of numbness overcoming me. There was no thought necessary. As I regained my resolve, I headed back into the game to finish the end. Why? you ask? If there was a time to sweep two more stones, it was while I was numb. That, and the fact that I'm insane for the Curling.

Turns out I tore my Rotator Cuff and received an Impaction Fracture to my left humerus. These injuries resulted in four months of intensive Physical Therapy and almost certainly an additional 6 to 12 months of work to regain my strength in that arm.

While I spent some three months time adjusting to my inability to do normal things such as laundry, dishes, showering, or clasping my bra, the remarkable reality was that I was able to Curl since curling does not require one to lift that arm. The Curling Gods were indeed with me.

A few days ago, it was confirmed that my Curling Rink (Team Coleman) will be competing in the Mountain Pacific Women's Club National Play-downs (play-offs) in Seattle, WA on January 20-21, 2007.

I am thrilled and honored to be on this team but I find myself marveling at the fact that I have come this far.

By the way, now I can lift my arm, swing it around, and reach. But lifting a 2 pound weight is still beyond me.

More soon...

B.